Avid has been hard at work to shift it’s brand from the goto expensive NLE (Non-Linear Editor) with no support for other software that didn’t play in it’s sandbox to a subscription based, affordable, open platform that now supports Premiere Pro in it’s ISIS storage and allows for third party hardware for it’s I/O. Last year Avid began having it’s own mini-NAB at NAB. The Avid Customer Association is a paid for private event where you can get all the latest news on their software, lets not forget they also make Pro Tools, storage solutions, and hardware interfaces, and where you can hob nob with the company itself. Today at ACA Louis Hernandez Jr made his keynote speech about the future of Avid. Here are the highlights:
Avid Artist | DNxIO – BlackMagic Design has collaborated with Avid to create new hardware with full Avid DNxHR playback and capture support all the way up to 4K resolutions at 60fps as well as compatibility with other tools made by Adobe and Apple. Connects via Pci-e card or Thunderbolt. Coming Q3. Marianna Montague of Avid posted this on the Avid-L2 group on Facebook “This new product was developed in partnership with Blackmagic Design as a Connectivity Partner using Avid’s new DnxHR Codec. This is a new high-resolution video interface outputting stunning high-resolution content for Ultra HD, 2K and 4K. Built with on board acceleration of DNxHR encoding….either over Thunderbolt or PCIe.H.265 Encode/decode functionality Open solution – works with Avid, Adobe and Apple Software” http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/04/11/723548/10128451/en/Avid-Introduces-High-Resolution-Video-IO-System-to-Meet-the-Growing-Demands-of-High-Res-Content-Production.html?hc_location=ufih
- Avid ISIS | 1000 a shared media solution for smaller shops and independent pros who want to work in shared environments: http://www.avid.com/US/products/ISIS1000?intcmp=AV-HP-S1b
- Avid Sibelius 8 got an update. It’s now subscription based. http://www.avidblogs.com/access-sibelius-in-more-ways-than-ever/
- Media Composer | First a new free entry level version of Media Composer to join the also not released yet Pro Tools | First coming later this year. Limitations are 4 Video Tracks,8 Audio Tracks, and only 3 Cloud Projects. It supports Plug-Ins. http://www.avidblogs.com/five-things-to-know-about-media-composer-first/
- Interplay | MAM 5 now supports MediaCentral | UX
- VENUE | S6L http://www.avid.com/US/Products/Venue-S6L?intcmp=AV-HP-S1a
Stay tuned for more Avid and NAB coverage this week. Can’t wait to see what BlackMagic has to announce Monday morning after this big news.
Also a special thanks to Jeff Sengpiehl for the pics from the event.